Setting My Affection On The Things Above
Colossians 3:2 says, “Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.”We’ve all had a point in our lives where and when we were so drawn to something or someone and that occupied most of our thinking. The Bible in Philippians 4:8 gives us an outline of all a believer is to think about.
Whatever is True.
Whatever is Honest.
Whatever is Just.
Whatever is Pure.
Whatever is Lovely.
Whatever is of Good Report.
Whatever is Excellent, of Virtue and of Praise.
I will be asking you to do a difficult but not impossible thing: obey this verse of scripture to the letter.
Whenever you check your thought life and realize that what you are thinking of is contradictory to this outline, it must be stopped. God admonishes us to set our affection on the things above and not things on the earth. The earth is only fleeting. Our desires are only fleeting. God wants us to Himself without any distractions. He wants the whole of each one of us.
To set your affection on things above takes a deliberate focus, an intentional focus, a decision to focus. It won’t happen on its own because our minds are bombarded with several things begging for our attention. There is a spouse calling for your attention and affection, your loved ones, your family. Money, Technology, Food, Entertainment are even on the list of what some of us set our affection on, but these things hold no rewards of eternity nor lasting earthly values. There are many eternal rewards that are only available above and God wants us to think about them even from now on.
What are some of the Benefits to us when we set our affection on God only?
1. Every other thing will be added to you. Matthew 6:33, when God’s kingdom is what you seek first, He will take care of you. He says the lilies of the field do not toil nor spin, yet they are taken care of. Don’t you think He will take care of you, fearfully and wonderfully made in His very image?
2. Your treasures won’t be corrupted. As you shift focus to God and God alone, you lay up for yourself treasured in heaven that cannot be corrupted, nor stolen by thieves.
3. Your whole body and life will be full of light! Your life is full of light because you have a single focus and that’s to please the One who made you so flawlessly special. And infertility is darkness. God did not call you into darkness, but His marvelous light!
4. Your Eternal Home awaits. At the end of this journey on earth at a good old age if Jesus tarries, there’s a place waiting for each one and there is a choice of either Heaven or Hell.
5. When you set your affection on things above and think upon those things outlined in Philippians 4:8, there will be no room for tears, pain, sorrow, heartaches, setbacks and the like anymore. And we only move in the direction of our thoughts. Your heart is so powerful that whatever you see with your mind’s eye is already your reality or reality in the making. For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he (already). Can you imagine focusing on you being pregnant or being able to impregnate your wife? You carrying a round tummy of babies? You delivering with the God appointed medical personnel to assist? You nurturing those children? You sitting with them and teaching them of the laws and goodness of our Heavenly Father? If you keep imagining these things and think upon them, no devil from anywhere can ever stop them and not even God who has power to stop them will ever stop them because He respects your choices!
Am I saying you should never ask what you will or be earthly relevant? No, I’m not saying that. But let your moderation be so known unto all men and your heartbeat for God loud enough for everyone around you to hear. God Himself said in Matthew 7:7 that we should ask and we will receive. We are also told to ask in the name of Jesus. So asking isn’t wrong at all, but our priorities must be in place. Our affection for Him must be in place and His blessings will follow, His reward (because children are the heritage of the Lord, the fruit of the womb is His reward) will follow.
God will settle you! God will empower you with His sweet Holy Spirit to set your affection on Him and things above, not on the earth! God will strengthen you with the night you need for Victory! In Jesus name! I look forward to your testimonies.
If You Don’t Give Up, The Opposition Will!